Fire Structural Cleaning
Just Had a Fire? Here is What to Do
Fire and smoke damage can have a severe impact on your home or business. Fire wreaks havoc on your respective facility and leaves countless necessary repairs in its wake. SERVPRO of San Mateo is committed to immediate emergency response to fire damaged homes and businesses. If you have just experienced a fire, you might be wondering what to do next:
- Follow all safety instructions provided by your local fire department personnel.
- Move pets and kids to a smoke-free environment. Smoke contains carcinogenic gases that can affect their health. Start with a neighbor you trust for immediate aid then move them to a temporary home with friends or family until the fire restoration is complete.
- If safe to enter the building open all the windows. This will get air moving to push the smoke out of the rooms.
- Make that call – you will need professional help, so before you get too busy, hire a fire remediation specialist who can start work on getting your home or business back the way it was. Insurance policies require that you take reasonable steps to “mitigate damages,” from tarping a damaged roof to boarding windows and making sure smoldering is stopped. SERVPRO of San Mateo provides Its Best Recommendation estimates, has 51 years of experience, and is available when you need us most. Call 650-931-6060 right now.
- Call your insurance company. All policies require that homeowners and businesses report their loss “as soon as reasonably possible.”
This process generally starts by deodorizing the residence (See Deodorization & Odor Removal). SERVPRO of San Mateo will then begin the cleaning/restoration process and proceed room by room. We address all structural elements including ceilings, walls, floors, windows, doors, window and door openings, baseboards and trims, cabinets, shelves, counters, and floors. We also take care of appliances, electrical fixtures, and window coverings. When all cleaning services are completed, we will then provide any necessary steam cleaning services for carpets and upholstery.
The type of disaster will determine the type of cleaning methods used. Smoke damage calls for a degreaser that cuts through smoke and soot to restore surfaces to their pre-disaster condition. Contamination situations require a decontaminating detergent. We also use specialty sponges on items that cannot be cleaned using a wet method. Wood soaps and oils are used on wood paneling and cabinets. Other cleaning solutions are also employed such as window cleaners, silver and metal cleaners, acids for masonry as well as many others.
A structural cleaning generally takes only a couple of days depending on the extent of the damage and the size of the premises. We also work very closely with our customers to coordinate the process and to ensure that the results are satisfactory.