Water Removal: An Essential Service in Edgewood Park
This comprehensive guide delves into the critical world of water removal, an important service in Edgewood Park. SERVPRO® of San Mateo understands that water damage can be daunting for any homeowner or business. This post aims to shed light on why timely water removal is essential. We will explore the immediate and long-term risks of water damage, the scenarios that necessitate prompt water removal, and how our expert water damage restoration services can help mitigate these risks. Join us as we navigate the complexities of water damage and its remedies, ensuring you are well-informed and prepared.
- Timely water removal is crucial for homeowners and businesses, addressing immediate and long-term risks associated with water damage.
- Immediate structural damage, electrical hazards, mold growth, furniture/appliance damage, degraded air quality, and secondary damage risks are all potential consequences of water damage.
- Natural disasters, plumbing issues, sewer backups, overflowing fixtures, roof leaks, basement flooding, and HVAC problems can all lead to significant water damage.
- Initial inspection, water extraction, drying, dehumidification, monitoring, sanitization, cleaning, and a final walk-through ensure a thorough restoration process.
- Beyond removal, SERVPRO offers structural repairs, mold remediation, content restoration, odor removal, cosmetic restoration, and preventative measures to prevent future water damage.
- Rapid emergency response, customized solutions, highly trained technicians, advanced equipment, commitment to customer satisfaction, local expertise with a national network, and end-to-end service distinguish their water removal services.
- Regular maintenance checks, water detection devices, proper landscaping and drainage, clear gutters and downspouts, knowing the water main location, and using flood barriers in flood-prone areas are recommended for residents.
Why water removal is non-negotiable
- Immediate structural damage: Water can swiftly weaken structural components like walls and floors, leading to potential collapses.
- Electrical hazards: Water contact with electrical systems can pose serious risks, including short circuits and fire hazards.
- Mold and mildew growth: Damp environments are perfect for mold and mildew, which can cause health issues and property damage.
- Furniture and appliance damage: Water can ruin furniture and appliances, leading to costly replacements.
- Degradation of air quality: Increased humidity and mold growth can significantly deteriorate indoor air quality.
- Secondary damage risks: Delayed water removal increases the risk of secondary damage, such as paint peeling and wallpaper detachment.
When water becomes a threat
- Natural disasters: Floods from storms or hurricanes can inundate properties with water.
- Plumbing issues: Burst pipes, leaky faucets, or broken water heaters can lead to significant water accumulation.
- Sewer backups: Sewage water backing up into homes or businesses is damaging and poses severe health risks.
- Overflowing bathtubs and sinks: Accidental overflows from bathtubs or sinks can quickly spread water throughout a property.
- Roof leaks: Compromised roofing can allow rainwater to seep into buildings, damaging ceilings and interiors.
- Basement flooding: Basements are particularly susceptible to flooding, especially in areas with high groundwater levels.
- HVAC issues: Problems with HVAC systems can lead to condensation and water accumulation.
How SERVPRO of San Mateo ensures effective water removal
At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we are committed to providing efficient and thorough water removal services in Edgewood Park. Our approach combines seasoned expertise with a detailed methodology tailored to each unique situation. We understand that effective water removal is not just about addressing the immediate issue; it's about setting the stage for a successful restoration. Our team is equipped with advanced tools and a systematic process, ensuring that every water removal project is handled with the utmost precision and care. From initial assessment to final restoration, we aim to return your property to its pre-damage condition with minimal disruption to your daily life.
Advanced technology for efficient water removal
- High-powered water extractors: These machines efficiently remove large volumes of water, speeding up the drying process.
- Infrared cameras: These cameras detect hidden water behind walls and under floors, ensuring thorough water removal.
- Air movers and dehumidifiers: These tools are essential in drying out the affected areas and preventing mold growth.
- Moisture detectors and hygrometers: These devices measure the extent of moisture saturation, guiding our drying process.
- Submersible pumps: Used for high-level water extraction in severe flooding scenarios.
- Air scrubbers: These purify the air and remove airborne particles during and after the water removal.
Step-by-step: our water removal process
- Initial inspection and damage assessment: We first evaluate the extent of the water damage to create an effective plan of action.
- Water extraction: Removing most water using powerful pumps and vacuums to reduce drying time.
- Drying and dehumidification: We use specialized equipment to target remaining moisture after water removal.
- Monitoring: Regularly check the progress of the drying process and adjust as necessary.
- Sanitization and cleaning: Ensuring the area is clean, sanitized, and odor-free post-water removal.
- Final walk-through: We conduct a final inspection with the property owner to ensure complete satisfaction.
Beyond removal: comprehensive restoration
- Structural repairs: Repairing any structural damage caused by water, including flooring, walls, and ceilings.
- Mold remediation: Addressing any potential mold issues to ensure a healthy environment.
- Content restoration: Salvaging and restoring water-damaged personal belongings, furniture, and other items.
- Odor removal: Eliminating any lingering odors using advanced deodorization techniques.
- Cosmetic restoration: Ensuring the property is structurally sound and looks as if it did pre-damage.
- Preventative measures: Advising on strategies to prevent future water damage and maintaining the integrity of the restoration work.
The SERVPRO of San Mateo difference- What sets our water removal services apart
- Rapid emergency response: Our team is ready to respond 24/7, ensuring quick action to minimize damage and begin the restoration process immediately.
- Customized solutions for every situation: We understand that each water damage scenario is unique, and we tailor our approach to meet the specific needs of each case, ensuring optimal outcomes.
- Highly trained water restoration technicians: Our professionals are not only skilled but also continually trained in the latest water restoration techniques, ensuring they are equipped to handle any challenge.
- Advanced inspection and extraction equipment: We utilize state-of-the-art equipment for water detection, extraction, and drying, ensuring a thorough and effective restoration process.
- Commitment to customer satisfaction: At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we prioritize our client’s satisfaction, offering transparent communication and personalized service throughout the restoration process.
- Local expertise with a national network: While we have deep knowledge of the local Edgewood Park area, we also have the backing of a national network, providing us with resources to handle large-scale disasters.
- End-to-end service: From initial assessment to final restoration, we offer a comprehensive service, including water removal, drying, cleaning, and repair, making the recovery process seamless for our clients.
Tips for Edgewood Park residents
- Regular maintenance checks: Conduct routine inspections of plumbing systems, roofs, and gutters to identify and fix leaks or damages early, preventing potential water damage.
- Install water detection devices: Place water sensors near appliances, toilets, sump pumps, and basements to alert you of the first signs of a leak or flooding.
- Proper landscaping and drainage: Ensure your property has proper drainage to prevent water accumulation near your foundation. Sloping the landscape away from your home can significantly reduce the risk of water damage.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear: Regularly clean gutters and ensure downspouts are directing water away from the foundation of your house to prevent water from seeping into basements or crawl spaces.
- Know your water main: Be familiar with the location of your water main so you can quickly turn it off in case of an emergency, such as a burst pipe.
- Consider flood barriers and sandbags: In areas prone to flooding, use flood barriers or sandbags around your property to redirect water flow away from your home.
Your partners in water damage restoration
At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we are your dedicated partners in water damage restoration, deeply committed to serving the Edgewood Park community. Our promise is to restore your property and your peace of mind. We understand the stress and uncertainty that water damage brings, and our team is here to alleviate that burden with expertise, compassion, and efficiency. As your reliable partner, we bring a blend of local understanding and national resources, ensuring that we are equipped to handle the water damage no matter the scale of the water damage. Contact us today at (650) 931-6060 to learn more.
How to prepare for a winter storm power outage and storm damage in San Mateo
- Essential steps to prepare for winter storms in San Mateo.
- How to manage power outages and minimize storm damage.
- SERVPRO of San Mateo's role in restoring and protecting your property.
As winter approaches, San Mateo residents face the daunting prospect of power outages and storm damage, challenges that can be both unpredictable and overwhelming. At SERVPRO® of San Mateo, we understand the importance of preparing for these seasonal adversities. This comprehensive guide is designed to equip you with essential knowledge and practical tips to confidently navigate through winter storms, power outages, and their aftermath. We'll also delve into how our expert team at SERVPRO plays a vital role in providing professional water cleanup services, ensuring your home remains safe and secure during these challenging times.
Preparing for winter storms in San Mateo: a comprehensive guide
In San Mateo, winter storms can bring more than just a chill to the air; they can bring significant risks and challenges to our homes and daily lives. Being well-prepared is not just a convenience; it’s a necessity. In this section of our guide, we’ll explore the risks posed by winter storms in our area and provide practical and essential tips for preparing your home. From understanding the potential impacts to taking proactive steps to safeguard your living space, we’re here to guide you through protecting your home against the harshness of winter.
Understanding the Risks
- Heavy rainfall and flooding: San Mateo often experiences intense rain during winter storms, leading to potential flooding and water damage.
- Power outages: Severe weather can disrupt power lines, leading to extended blackouts.
- Wind damage: High winds can damage roofs, windows, and trees, posing risks to property and safety.
- Cold surges: Sudden temperature drops can lead to frozen pipes and heating system failures.
- Road and transportation disruption: Icy conditions and heavy rainfall can make roads treacherous, affecting mobility and access to services.
Essential preparations for your home
- Insulate pipes: Protect your plumbing from freezing by insulating pipes, especially those exposed to external walls.
- Secure outdoor areas: Fasten or store outdoor furniture and other items that could be blown away or damaged.
- Check roof and gutters: Ensure your roof is in good condition and that gutters are clear to prevent ice dams and water buildup.
- Emergency kit preparation: Assemble an emergency kit with essentials like flashlights, batteries, a first-aid kit, and non-perishable food.
- Heating system maintenance: Have your heating system checked and serviced to ensure it’s operational during cold spells.
Navigating power outages during winter storms
Power outages during winter storms are more than inconvenient; they can seriously disrupt San Mateo's unique climate. Navigating these outages with preparedness and knowledge is key to maintaining safety and comfort. This section will guide you through the proactive measures to take before an outage strikes and the best practices to follow during one.
Before the outage: Proactive measures
- Create an outage plan: Develop a plan that includes emergency contacts, a meeting point for family members, and steps to take when the power goes out.
- Invest in emergency supplies: Stock up on flashlights, batteries, blankets, a portable radio, and a power bank for charging mobile devices.
- Ensure adequate food and water supply: Keep sufficient stock of non-perishable food items and bottled water.
- Install surge protectors: Protect your electronics from potential surge damage when power returns.
- Learn manual override: For homes with electric gates or garage doors, learn how to operate them manually.
During the outage: safety and maintenance
- Avoid opening refrigerators and freezers: This helps maintain cold temperatures and prevent food spoilage.
- Use alternative light sources wisely: Utilize flashlights or battery-operated lamps instead of candles to minimize fire hazards.
- Stay informed: Keep a battery-powered radio handy to receive weather updates and information from local authorities.
- Check on neighbors: Ensure that elderly or vulnerable neighbors are safe and have everything they need.
Minimizing storm damage: expert tips from SERVPRO of San Mateo
At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we understand the challenges and stresses that come with winter storms in our community. Minimizing storm damage is not just about reacting swiftly; it's about having the right knowledge and taking preemptive actions. In this section, we share expert tips and strategies honed from our extensive experience in water removal and storm response to help you effectively minimize the impact of storms on your property. These insights are designed to empower you as a homeowner, equipping you with practical advice on immediate and long-term measures that can significantly reduce storm damage and ensure the safety and integrity of your home.
Immediate actions to reduce damage
- Identify and stop water intrusions: Quickly address leaks or flooding to prevent water damage.
- Secure loose items: Tie down or bring inside any outdoor items that could be hazardous in high winds.
- Document potential damages: Take photos or videos of your property for insurance purposes before the storm worsens.
Long-term strategies for storm resistance
- Strengthen your home's exterior: Consider investing in storm windows, reinforced garage doors, and stronger roofing materials.
- Tree trimming: Regularly trim trees around your property to minimize the risk of branches falling on your home.
- Waterproof your basement: Install sump pumps and ensure proper sealing to prevent flooding.
- Regular maintenance checks: Routine checks of your home’s structure and utilities can help identify vulnerabilities before they become problematic in a storm.
SERVPRO of San Mateo's role in storm damage recovery
The road to recovery can be challenging in the aftermath of a winter storm. At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we play a critical role in this journey, providing expert storm damage recovery services. Our team is equipped with the knowledge, skills, and tools needed to help you navigate the aftermath of a storm. From rapid response and water removal to comprehensive cleanup and tailored restoration, we're dedicated to restoring your property to its pre-storm condition, ensuring your peace of mind and safety.
Rapid response and professional water removal
- 24/7 Availability: Our emergency services are available around the clock, ensuring immediate assistance following a storm.
- Quick mobilization: We deploy rapidly to storm-affected areas, minimizing the time between the damage occurrence and our response.
- Efficient water extraction: Utilizing advanced water extraction equipment, we quickly remove standing water, which prevents further damage.
- Thorough moisture elimination: We identify and eradicate hidden moisture beyond visible water, safeguarding against mold and structural issues.
Comprehensive water cleanup and restoration services
- Detailed assessment: Every affected area is meticulously inspected to determine the extent of water damage and required restoration efforts.
- Professional cleaning solutions: We use professional-grade cleaning and sanitizing agents to ensure thorough water cleanup.
- Restoration of damaged areas: From repairing structures to restoring furnishings, we cover all aspects of restoration.
- Ensuring comfort and safety: Our goal is to make your property safe and comfortable again, addressing all health and safety concerns.
Tailored water damage restoration process
- Customized approach: Every situation is unique, and we tailor our restoration process to fit the specific needs of your property.
- Step-by-step procedure: Our process includes emergency contact, inspection, water removal, drying, cleaning, and final restoration.
- Ongoing communication: We keep you informed at every step, ensuring transparency and peace of mind.
- Quality assurance: Our commitment to excellence ensures the highest quality of restoration work.
Essential safety tips during storm cleanup
Post-storm cleanup is a critical phase where safety must be the top priority. At SERVPRO of San Mateo, we want to ensure you approach this task with the right precautions. This section provides essential safety tips for homeowners engaging in DIY cleanup efforts and helps determine when professional assistance is necessary.
Prioritizing safety in DIY cleanup
- Wear protective gear: Always use gloves, masks, and waterproof clothing to protect against debris and contaminants.
- Electrical safety: Ensure all electrical sources are turned off in water-damaged areas before starting cleanup.
- Avoid structural hazards: Be cautious of weakened floors and walls, and avoid entering severely damaged areas.
- Proper disposal of debris: Dispose of debris and damaged materials safely, following local regulations.
When to call the professionals
- Extensive water damage: If water damage is widespread or involves structural damage, it’s time to call experts.
- Mold concerns: Professional intervention is crucial when there’s evidence of mold growth.
- Electrical and plumbing issues: These require specialized skills and should be handled by professionals.
- Health risks: If there are health hazards due to contaminated water or materials, professional cleanup is necessary.
Staying prepared and partnering with SERVPRO of San Mateo
Our expertise in water cleanup in San Mateo and storm recovery equip us to provide unparalleled support when you need it most. We guide, assist, and restore from proactive measures to emergency response. Remember, the key to minimizing storm impact is preparedness and having a reliable team on your side. Don't wait for the next storm to test your readiness. Contact SERVPRO of San Mateo today at (650) 931-6060 to learn more about our water removal services and how we can help you stay prepared for winter storms.
Fire Prevention Tips
Update Smoke Detectors and Sprinklers
Smoke detectors are an absolutely must when it comes to fire safety. Ensure you have one on each level of the home and in bedrooms. Test them once a month and replace their batteries as soon as they die. Depending on the type of batteries, you might need to replace them at least once a year.
Install home fire sprinklers for even more fire prevention. Home sprinklers reduce the risk of fire spreading to the rest of your home and use significantly less water than fire department hoses.
Be Aware of Fire Prone Areas
Most fires begin in the kitchen. In fact, cooking is the leading cause of fires in homes to date. Never leave the kitchen while you’re cooking on the stove top. Set a timer when baking.
Stay updated on how often your heating system gets cleaned. Chimneys often require much more cleaning since they are susceptible to creosote buildup. After winter use, thoroughly clean all fireplaces and chimneys. Never leave a fire unattended and avoid burning highly flammable substances without a screen.
Replace Old Equipment and Appliances
When it comes to fire safety, anything with a frayed wire must go. Damaged cords are a contributing factor to starting house fires. Be sure to replace appliances and equipment with fraying cords or damaged plugs. Check labels on all new appliances to stay updated on specific fire safety instructions.
Create a Fire Safety Plan
Review fire safety tips once a year with your family. Fire prevention and safety knowledge could decrease the amount of fire-related deaths.
Twice a year, you and your family should practice your fire escape plan, says the American Red Cross. If you have children in the home, it’s a good idea to draw your escape plan on graph paper for easy comprehension.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke,or Soot Damages?
Call Us Today 650-931-6060
To schedule a service call, contact SERVPRO of San Mateo today at (650) 931-6060.
Click here for more information about San Mateo.
Water Intrusion in San Francisco?
SERVPROof San Mateo responds to water damage emergencies often in San Francisco. Here are some tips from the Insurance Information Institute for protecting your home from water intrusion:
Exterior Inspection and Repair
- Water can be prevented from entering a structure’s exterior through routine inspection and maintenance and making repairs as needed.
- Caulk and seal windows
- Inspect the roof for missing and aging shingles
- Check rain gutters and drainage systems and remove any debris
- Check downspouts and clear any clogs and make sure they are draining away from the structure
- Check sprinkler systems and make sure the sprinklers are not spraying water onto the structure and that water is not pooling around the structure’s foundation
- Make sure water drains away from the building as water is invasive and will find its way into a structure easily when water is allowed to pool around the foundation. After a storm, or when the ground is already saturated by rainwater, the water may enter into the foundation wall through any cracks.
Call Us Today!
When your San Francisco home or business needs water damage restoration services, SERVPROof San Mateo is Here to Help. We have a team of highly trained technicians on-call 24-hours a day to assist you. Call us today at 650-931-6060.
Post-Fire Checklist: 6 Things To Do Immediately
What To Do After a House Fire
House fires don’t only happen to other San Mateo, CA, homeowners. If you find yourself dealing with a residential fire, you probably want to stare fire restoration as soon as possible. Still, jumping the gun can be disastrous. Here are six things you should do immediately after a house fire.
1. Find a Place To Stay
Staying safe after a fire must be your primary concern. If your house has sustained fire damage, look for a long-term solution. Remember, you must find housing that accommodates you, your family and your pets.
2. Board-Up Damaged Windows and Doors
Your post-fire home may not be weathertight. It may also attract criminals. To protect your home until you can begin fire restoration, board up damaged windows and doors.
3. Contact Your Insurance Company
Your insurance adjuster will probably want to inspect fire damage as soon as possible. Once you are your family members are safe, contact a representative from your fire insurance company.
4. Work With Law Enforcement
Police investigators and firefighters will likely prepare an incident report. This report identifies the cause of your house fire. It is also essential for collecting insurance payments.
5. Prepare a Damage List
For both insurance and remediation purposes, you need a list of damaged property. Before a fire, try to create a list of your personal belongings. Add and subtract items occasionally to keep your list current and accurate.
6. Contact a Restoration Service
Even if your house fire is minor, you may have extensive smoke damage. By working with a reputable restoration service for smoke cleaning and other remediation, you put specialized skills and equipment to work for you.
House fires can be devastating. Fortunately, you don’t have to leave your home’s recovery to chance. By taking a few critical steps in the days following a fire, you increase your odds of having a successful fire restoration.
Water-damaged Business in Redwood City?
SERVPROof San Mateo responds to commercial water damage emergencies throughout the year in Redwood City. Our fast emergency response time saves our business customers time and money in many cases. Water damage can happen at any time, and the longer the damage goes unmitigated, the more extensive and expensive the repairs will become. Here is a water damage timeline that illustrates the damage water does over a short period:
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish
- Furniture begins to swell and crack
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain
- A musty odor appears
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp
- Metal begins to rust and corrode
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold
- Paint begins to blister
- Wood flooring swells and warps
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible
When your Redwood City commercial business or home needs water damage restoration services, SERVPROof San Mateo is Here to Help. We have a team of highly trained technicians on-call 24-hours a day to assist you. Call us today at 650-931-6060.
Professional Water Removal Services For Your Saturated Commercial Property
Having water make its way into your commercial property in Oakland means that you need fast, effective water cleanup and restoration services. With access to these restoration services, you can reduce the amount of damage you may face and drastically limit the amount of time it takes to return things to normal.
Getting help with water removal in your Oakland commercial property is much easier than you might think. Regardless of whether you are dealing with water issues of an internal or external nature. Our IICRC-industry standard professionals stand ready to provide you with the quality services you deserve. The fact that we are a local restoration company enables us to arrive, Faster To Any Size Disaster.
SERVPRO understands how water damage affects your commercial property. We work hard to keep the doors of your business open. Using advanced water removal equipment, experienced personnel and advanced cleaning methods to get things done right the first time. We help prevent conditions that affect your food storage, appliances, or important documents and office equipment.
SERVPRO technicians remove excess water immediately, using hand-held, truck-mounted, and submersible pumps. The idea behind our water removal service involves getting rid of any standing water as soon as possible, making the drying process that much quicker. We use portable heaters, dehumidifiers, moisture detectors, and a variety of evaporation equipment to restore the relative humidity inside your property.
SERVPRO’s entire team of water removal specialists work together to provide excellent results. We use both air movers and dehumidifiers to channel water caught inside of your property to the outside. A process that helps quicken the drying process and promotes drying of contents found throughout the building. When contents have the opportunity to dry naturally, it dramatically reduces the possibility of developing secondary damages.
Have you found yourself facing water problems on your property? Contact SERVPRO of San Mateo for access to quality, professional water removal services you can trust. We have highly trained professionals available 24/7 to help you confront the unexpected and regain control of disastrous situations. (650) 931-6060
We Have Storm Flooding and Our Sump Pump Failed in San Francisco, Now What?
SERVPRO Can Handle Water Removal from Flood Damage to Your San Francisco Home – Call to Have a Crew Deployed ASAP!
While having a sump pump in the crawlspace or basement of your San Francisco home gives you added peace of mind during storm season, there can come a time when the system fails. Whether you had an appliance failure or an outage where your sump pump didn’t turn on, you may be in for some flooding and water damage. The good news is that the SERVPRO crew is available 24/7, and we are happy to come out to your home to take a look so that you can minimize the loss and restore your interior to the pre loss condition.
Is There Anything I Can Do Until You Arrive?
Until SERVPRO’s Green Fleet arrives at your home to help with flood damage in San Francisco, there are numerous measures that you can take to minimize property damage, including:
- If you can locate the source of the water coming in and stop it.
- Always avoid hazards, such as unsanitary water, slippery floors, electricity near the water loss zone, and unsafe structures.
- Put plastic underneath furniture legs or remove furniture to try and prevent rust or permanent staining.
A sump pump failure can happen for several reasons, such as:
- Power Failure – A power outage is the most common reason for a sump pump failure. Many homeowners like to have their sump pump connected to a back-up generator to be activated manually if the main power to the house is off.
- Wrong Size Sump Pump – If the wrong size pump gets installed on your property, you will likely run into issues. A smaller pump is just as capable as the larger sizes. However, a sump pump that is too big will work harder than it needs to, or a smaller sump pump installation might not be able to pull out enough water. Each instance can lead to a shorter lifespan.
- Installation Issues – The sump pump should always be installed according to specific manufacturer recommendations to avoid the potential for severe water damage. If you are not quite sure of the appropriate way to install one, it is better to call in the assistance of a trained technician.
- Switch Malfunction – A switch issue is a common problem with sump pumps, which can happen when it shifts position in the basin, and it leaves the float ineffective.
- Not Maintained – It is often recommended that a sump pump gets tested every few months. Yearly service is also best to ensure that your unit will work when it is needed most.
- Clogged Discharge Line – If the water is unable to exit the property through the discharge line, the sump pump is unable to work. This line must be free from rocks, dirt, and other debris at all times.
- Appliance Defect – While it might be rare, there is always the possibility that your sump pump is defective. It is best to check and test out the pump upon installation to ensure proper function.
Will My Insurance Cover this Sump Pump Failure?
The failure of a sump pump is usually not covered with a standard homeowner’s policy. In many cases, there will be an endorsement, or an add-on, that you can choose to help with a failed sump pump and back-up. It is always best to consult with your home insurance provider to determine what your coverage might be, if any.
What Can I Do to Avoid Water Damage in the Future?
While it is impossible to avoid a natural disaster, you can be proactive about protecting your property. SERVPRO has enough experience to tell our customers some of the things to do to prepare for the future:
- Know the flood risk for your area
- Put together a flood plan in advance
- Make sure that you always have an emergency kit readily available
- Have essential documents stored in a safe and dry place
- Always test out your sump pump and back-up generator periodically
- Choose a restoration team before the disaster even happens
When you have our number handy, you will have access to emergency flood damage services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We know that a significant storm and flooding event can be overwhelming and devastating. Whenever you have flooding in your home, simply give us a call. We will:
- Remove and dispose of any materials damaged beyond repair
- Dry out any contents or provide pack-out services for off-site cleaning
- Monitor the entire drying process, ensuring everything is dry in a timely manner
SERVPRO of San Mateo has the resources and manpower to tackle any storm or disaster that leaves you with flood damage. Call us at 650-931-6060, and we can send out a team as soon as possible to get started on an assessment.
The Importance of a Home Escape Plan
The Value Of Having A Home Escape Plan
Preparing for a fire may seem simple but having a set plan for evacuating your home in San Mateo, CA, can save your life and the lives of your family members. Not matter how small the fire appears to be, fire damage specialists recommend immediate evacuation. The American Red Cross outlines a model fire escape plan to help keep a bad day from becoming your worst day.
1. Install smoke alarms. Every bedroom and at least one communal area in every level of your home should have a smoke alarm. For a two-story, five-bedroom home, this means you should have at least seven smoke detectors. Test the batteries in each device monthly and replace all the batteries at least once a year.
2. Discuss escape routes. Have a family conversation about what the smoke alarm sounds like and what to do if it goes off. Your emergency escape plan should include backup paths from every room just in case the quickest path is blocked.
3. Have a meetup plan. Pick a location outside your home where family members will meet if they are separated during the fire. Have a secondary place or a point of contact in case someone cannot get to the meetup area. Teach children how to call 9-1-1.
4. Practice the plan. Once you have a solid fire escape plan, practice it at least twice a year. This increases the chances of muscle memory overriding the stress inherent in an actual emergency.
5. Stop, drop and roll. Discuss with your family what to do if they or their clothing come in contact with the fire. Incorporate the stop-drop-and-roll method of putting out these smaller fires into your emergency preparedness practice sessions.
As unpleasant as the thought of a home fire in San Mateo , CA, may be, it is important to know what to do in case such an event ever occurs. By having a fire escape plan, discussing it with your family and giving yourselves regular fire drills, you can be more prepared to face it if it happens.
Preparing Now can Help Reduce Your Need for Water Removal Services in San Mateo
SERVPRO Techs Eliminate Water Damage in San Mateo Homes with Sophisticated Tools
Did you know that freezing isn’t the only cause of burst pipes? When this type of disaster occurs in your San Mateo residence, it can be both sudden and overwhelming. However, there is a team that is ready to assist you.
If a plumbing malfunction requires water removal for your San Leandro home, SERVPRO can begin the cleanup process within hours of your initial contact. Your local SERVPRO is also licensed to render general contracting services to restore your residence after disaster cleanup has finished.
Preventing Burst Pipes in the Sunshine State
Californians might not have to worry as much about frozen climates causing burst pipes, but plumbing clogs and obstructions can cause similarly costly issues.
Common sources of pipe clogs include:
- Fats, oil, and grease buildup in pipes
- Non-flushable paper products such as paper towels
- Sewer line obstructions caused by tree roots and debris
If carpeting outside of the bathroom has been affected by contaminated water, disposal may be necessary to prevent the spread of mold or microbes in your home.
SERVPRO Technicians Sanitize Your Bathroom
When a water damage situation involves the sewer system, sanitation is key to keeping your home safe. SERVPRO uses a variety of cleanup modalities paired with EPA-registered biocides to combat microbes and bacteria. These can include:
- Pumps and sprays
- Manual application with cleaning cloths and sponges
- Injection systems
Sanitation is critical to successful drying and to mitigating odors in tandem with deodorization equipment like ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers. After sanitation in a gray or black water situation, structural drying and repairs can begin.
SERVPRO of San Mateo offers a 24/7 cleanup that is Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call 650-931-600 to have an emergency response crew at your home within hours.